Photographing my dolls has always been a challenge.
And yes, I have bribed and bartered with friends who have an interest in photography and thought they could help. Their results were little better than what I was able to accomplish with a point-and-shoot and overhead fluorescent lights. (Dollseye is exempt from this topic, I have no idea how she manipulates light the way she does but that is why I am so glad she owns a variety of my dolls and likes to take photos of them on occasion. She’s amazingly talented.)
So then I moved to a new apt/studio and the lighting situation changed completely.
I finally decided to buy a small photo studio with “real” lights and a “real” shooting environment with a “real” backdrop. While I am excited by the set-up I am simply amazed that natural light continues to affect the staging area when the lights and the position of the figure do not change at all.
So…. I continue to struggle. Please bare with me and just know that your doll will very likely look better than in the pictures (that is usually the report that I get from customers).
I am going to use the Stitch Bitches as an example of the struggle I am having. This was taken in the old environment:
And these two taken in the new environment with slight adjustments to the position of the lamps and the time of day:
All three dolls use the same fabric and were painted with the same blend of paint colors.
Frustrating to say the very least.